Saturday, March 5, 2016

My morning ride 2016 02 17 #mybikestory

Spontaneous, out of context post in the more or less randomly created "BIKE COMMUTE STORY", Wednesday, February 17.

#mybikestory

It's been a strange week. It started at a little before 5 AM Sunday when the novovirus I'd somehow ingested had had sufficient time to incubate. Having done so it no longer lurked instead choosing to make its presence known in no uncertain terms.

I'll skip the details. Turn to the All Seeing Interwebz if you are that curious. You can thank me later.

I took Monday off to recover a bit. Tuesday started more or less alright but I could tell I was in for a short day almost before it started. I don't get sick often. When I do it isn't pretty, but I assume that's true for most people.

That evening the two bicycle tourists I'd kind of expected arrived. "Kind of expected" because I hadn't heard from them in a couple of days and didn't know if Monday's "rain event" had delayed them or worse. Time would reveal that a glitch in the Warmshowers mail system delayed their message until after they had continued on to New Orleans. Oh well.

We left together in the morning, a morning that was the meteorological opposite of the previous morning's dense fog. They agreed to stop on the Paper Clip for a departure shot taken over the Mighty Mississippi, fallen but not completely back in its banks.

Our leisurely pace allowed a little chit chat on the way to the place I would bid them an enjoyable trip and turn back toward work. I hope they enjoyed the kolaches.

The day passed uneventfully. I have to say, recovering from an illness makes me appreciate being well. Funny how that works.

I was heading home on the Levee when the sun had already dropped below the horizon. That horizon was limned with those colors and intensities one occasionally experiences at that hour.

What a pleasure to be there to see the contrasts, the oddly stark boldness of things seen from this side of the setting sun, back-lighting doing its dramatic best. In a few minutes all would be changed again, lit not by an unimaginably large ringing ball of burning hydrogen but by more mundane lights.

As I was completing my second panoramic image a friend rolled up on his road bike to chat. Another great pleasure taken in small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment