Saturday, March 5, 2016

My morning ride 2016 02 03 #mybikestory

Third post in the week-long "BIKE COMMUTE STORY WEEK", Wednesday, February 03.

#mybikestory

The weather we’d been anticipating all day finally arrived yesterday evening. I suppose it was worth the wait. It rained hard for quite a while supported by gusty winds and lightening every now and then, some quite close. There were times the howl of the wind rose and then sustained itself long enough that I wondered if it was a tornado on the way. Thankfully, it wasn’t.

When I left my apartment in the morning I looked up to learn the wind direction and strength. This is one of the benefits of living in Spanish Town – I can very clearly see the flags at the top of the Capitol 450+ feet in the air. Since the Capitol is oriented to the cardinal directions it’s easy to tell wind direction at that altitude. Its strength is more subjective based on how far the wind extends the flags. This morning there were straight out, flapping rapidly, with the wind out of nearly due north. That’s a good direction for going down river.

I headed out for the Levee path passing down Spanish Town Road running directly in front of the Capitol and dividing the Capitol park grounds from the state Museum and state Library. My plans changed as soon as I turned onto Lafayette Street by the state Welcome Center.

I could see a train on the Levee tracks and knew it would block all Levee access points even though it was moving oh so slowly. It would not be unusual for the train to stop, sit for a time, and reverse directions back into the Exxon plant. Rather than wait at the trailhead to see what would happen I opted for an alternate route.

I continued down Lafayette past the state LaSalle Building. Most mornings I can smell breakfast cooking in their cafeteria – biscuits, bacon, coffee – but not this morning for some reason.

The new IBM Building catty corner from the LaSalle Building is almost but not quite done. The past few weeks a crew has been removing and replacing the facing of the building at sidewalk level. This morning there was a crane stretched across the street with the upper end hidden from view.

A little further down the street Po’ Boy Lloyd’s was missing the usual police cars and bicycles that I see there at breakfast time. Either I was a lot later than usual or there was something going on breakfast-wise downtown.

The Old State Capitol stood there in its Gothic Revival glory. Mark Twain may have hated it but I enjoy its crenelated parapet, corner towers, and massive skylight. It’s such a rare and wonderful thing that castle-like building. I wish the cast iron turrets added in the 1880s were still there.

What little traffic there is on North Boulevard tends to clot up at the light on the corner of St Louis and in front of the 19th U.S. District Court Building. I remember sitting outside a Starbucks in Washington, D.C., on Constitution Avenue near the Capitol at rush hour watching the bicyclists dodging and weaving in rush hour traffic and count my blessings. It doesn’t take long to clear the knots of confused drivers and turn onto St Ferdinand.

The Frostop Drive-In drew my attention as I waited for the light on Government to change. The Frostop is a ghost from the car culture past having occupied that corner since 1957. Its giant mug on root beer no longer rotates but still stands luring customers in for a tasty treat.

I pass the northern edge of Expressway Park today instead of passing through the park. It still awes me with its size and noise and makes me happy to not be in the traffic above. South Boulevard is largely empty and a pleasure in comparison.

I pass the burned out wreck of a shotgun house collapsing now under its own ruined weight. A bit farther along and I notice a red camellia in full bloom, the grass around it carpeted with dropped petals. A Japanese Magnolia, time, the cold, and rain having dimmed its glory, still brightens another home.

By the time I reach The Lakes I can’t help but notice the Interstate, crawling with motor traffic, bisecting the Lake. Whoever designed the route for that road must have hated Baton Rouge to place it there. It certainly ruins the view and the peace of the area. I guess destroying the then-successful middle class black neighborhood just to the north of the Lakes was more important than esthetics or nature however altered by the hand of man it may have been.

After work, the sun was still up, the sky a motley mix of cloud types. It was considerably cooler than yesterday but the sun, however diminished, was good to see.

My ride through campus and around the Lakes on my way to a Front Yard Bikes board meeting was a pleasure. The transition from light to dark is one of my favorite times of day, made even better by the light reflecting off the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment