Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bicycling in the South: Jim Powers comes to town

As I mentioned in my previous post, I met Jim Powers at the North American Handmade Bicycle Show in Austin, TX last month. He was planning on riding from Austin, TX, to New Orleans and was looking for a place to stay while in town overnight.

As I am a registered "host" on the somewhat-unfortunately-named-Web-site Warm Showers I was more than willing to have him stay, once we chatted for a bit and it was clear that he was reasonably sane and seemed to be compatible with my mindset. I'm really happy that he stayed in Baton Rouge for a number of reasons.

For one thing, the reason Jim was at NAHBS is that he is the North American distributor of Zimbale high quality canvas and leather bags. He's not only the distributor but a user of the bags. I have to say they are beautiful pieces of work and very well made, not only from the workmanship side of things but from the design side as well.

One of the things I've heard from a couple of bicycle tourists it that big bags, like my Ortlieb grocery getters, don't have outside pockets so when you want something you have to open the entire bag and dig around. Perhaps a minor inconvenience but the Zimbale bags have lots of outside pockets and that makes packing easier - this little pocket has my cell phone, that little pocket has my wallet, this little pocket has chewy bars of goodness . . . you get my drift. Having separate places for things means checking that little space for what you know should be there rather than diving in and poking through everything in a big bag.

The bags are also beautiful in that retro-grouch sort of way. Waxed canvas and leather or straight up leather bags constructed with attention to detail and finish make them not only useful but a handsome addition to your bicycle.

As Jim is a distributor and the Zimbale Web site given above is for retailers only, you cannot purchase these bags directly that Web site. There is a more or less convenient "Retail Partners" link that will take you to a state-by-state list of retailers. Unfortunately, there is no retailer in Louisiana so I'd have to go to Austin or Dallas or Atlanta to find the closest dealers and that ain't very close. Perhaps, one day, there will be a distributor in Louisiana, maybe even Baton Rouge. Fortunately, Jim's other Web site, Bike Touring News, does have an online store where one may purchase the Zimbale bags, should one be so inclined.

Another reason I'm glad Jim stopped in Baton Rouge is he has been bicycle touring since 1972. Yes friends, the man has been taking to the road on his bicycle for nearly 40 YEARS! I stand in awe.

Has he kept all that experience to himself? No, not at all. In fact, we can all gain a little or a lot, depending on our personal bent, by going to his Website - Bike Touring News.

Seems to me, if I were considering heading out for an extended tour, I'd want to know as much as I could about the fundamentals of touring. Given how much experience he's gained, and lived to tell the tale, I'd say this would be a good place to start.

Of course, we did more than talk about his distributorship and his Web site and blog on crazyguyonabike . After all, visiting is more than talking business.

We also ate at The Chimes where Jim had his first crawfish etouffee and his second hushpuppy. It's kind of nice that most people have never heard of, much less eaten, a hushpuppy, if the folks coming through here on bicycles are any indication. Not eating alligator I would expect but hushpuppies? Really? Seems there really is regional food left in America. Jim also got to try Tin Roof IPA and a Covington brew.

Before Jim left on the LA Swift bus for New Orleans we had a few hours to tour Baton Rouge. I won't bore you with the route, even if I remembered it, but we did see Mike the Tiger, passed around bits of the Lakes, stopped briefly on St Rose so I could drop off a little swag from NABHS, and then headed downtown.


For some reason the Old State Capitol was closed. I'm guessing the state budget has something to do with that as I seem to remember it being open on Sundays before. Fortunately, the new capitol was open and, as always, quite a hit, It really is a beautiful building and provides quite a view from up on the observation walk.

We ran out of time and headed home after getting a little lunch at the Capitol City Grill. Our ride tothe LA Swift bus at the CATS terminal was pleasant and the LA Swift was on time and ready when we got there. I bid Jim "Bon Voyage" at the station and headed home, happy to have had the chance to host another bicycle tourist in Baton Rouge.




Jim was born and raised in Montana. He currently lives in Boise, Idaho, with his wife, Stacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment